Synthetic Biology CDT
I am a first year SynBio CDT student, with research interests in peptide and drug design.
- 2017 - present: PhD, Synthetic Biology - Bristol University University
- 2011 - 2015: MSci, Biomedical Sciences - Newcastle University
PhD project to be confirmed.
Graduate Laboratory Researcher - John Innes Centre, 2016 - 2017
- Research project centred on developing a robust procedure to successfully express and purify plant nucleotide-binding leucine-rich repeat (NLR) immune receptors for structural analysis by cryo-EM.
- Establishing the Golden Gate cloning system within the lab to efficiently expression test multiple transcriptional units.
Research Placement - Newcastle University, 2015
- A funded position to finalise dissertation results for publication: characterised the regulation of Fe65, a neural adaptor protein, in response to UV-induced DNA damage, and its interaction with amyloid-beta precursor protein; a putative causative component of Alzheimer’s disease.
Physiological Society Summer Studentship - University of East Anglia, 2013
- An 8-week research project investigating the effects of nucleotides, such as ATP, on monocytic cytokine secretion during pro inflammatory responses.
Joan Curtis Stage 4 Prize: Newcastle University, 2015
Langlands, H., Blain, P., Jowsey, P. (2016) 'Fe65 is Phosphorylated on Ser289 after UV-induced DNA Damage' PLOS one, 11(5)
Rowing, Badminton, Yoga, Baking, Travel
Science Communication - Committee member for Norwich British Science Association Branch 2016