- Studied Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths at A Level.
- Studied BSc Biochemistry Hons. at the University of Bristol.
- Studied optional modules in Pharmacology, Infection and Immunity, Biotechnology and Molecular Biology.
- Completed my final year honors research project in the lab of Prof David Stephens, studying protien interactions of two intermediate chains in the Dynein-2 complex.
I am currently trying to keep my mind and options open, as we haven't even picked our research rotation projects yet. However my undergraduate degree I found both de novo molecule design and DNA-Protein interactions to be the most interesting fields to me.
- Completed a 5 week Nuffield Summer Studentship Bursary in the lab of Dr David Timson, School of Biological Sciences, Queens University Belfast in Summer 2011. Here I helped a final year PhD student with his research into the effects of various alchols and compatible solutes on the enzyme β-Galactosidase.
- In summer 2013 I spent 7 weeks doing a research project in the lab of Dr Chris Dempsy, School of Biochemistry, University of Bristol. The project was funded using an Undergraduate Vacation Studentship, from the School of Biochemistry. During this project I studied the interaction of several drugs with a couple of models of the hERG K+ channel using in silico methods.
- My final year research project for my undergraduate degree took place in Autumn 2014 in the lab of Prof David Stephens, School of Biochemistry, University of Bristol. I studied the interactions of the two intermediate chains of the Dynien-2 motor, WDR60 and WDR34. I was able to contribute understanding that these two chains form a heterodiamer in the Dynein-2 complex, rather than a homodiamer of one or the other.
Awards and Achievements
- Gold CREST award for my reserach and writeup produced during my Nuffield Summer Studentship.
- Among the top 10 students with the highest exam marks in my year group in both first and second year of my undergraduate degree.
- Faculty Undergraduate Scholarship, one of the top ten candidates with the highest exam marks in the Medical and Vetinary Sciences Faculty going into the final year of my undergraduate degree.
- Achieved a First class Honors degree in my undergraduate degree.
- Have been taking pole fitness classes for two years, and am now poling at an intermediate level.
- I've been a keen horse rider since I was 11, although haven't really done that much since starting university.
- I started learning to sew this summer, and also like playing around with art and drawing, my favourite media being oil pastels.