Last updated: 02 November 2015
2015-present: DPhil, Interdisciplinary Biosciences Wadham College, University of Oxford.
2012-2015: BA, Biological Sciences Wadham College, University of Oxford.
Depths of time-2012: GCSEs, International Baccalaureate Taunton School, Somerset.
- Membrane identity and trafficking
- Undergraduate Research Project: “Investigating the effects of RAB-A2a on the phragmoplast in mitotic root cells of Arabidopsis thaliana.”
May 2014 – July 2014. University of Oxford, Department of Plant Sciences. Supervised by Dr. Ian Moore.
- Identified a specific Rab GTPase as the first potential effector of a hypothesised mechanism to coordinate phragmoplast expansion with cell plate formation during cytokinesis.
- Gained skills in: confocal fluorescence microscopy, image analysis, plant biology, molecular cloning, scientific writing and basic lab safety and protocols.
- My findings may be published after further testing of their validity.
- Nuffield Bursary Placement -
University of Oxford, Department of Zoology.
July 2010 – August 2010. Supervised by Professor Ben Sheldon.
- Awarded a Nuffield Science Bursary to undertake a six week self-organised research placement during my school vacation.
- Digitised hundreds of historical bird ringing records into Excel, analysing these data
in R and reviewing literature to investigate the “Heritability of dispersal in great tits”.
- Submitted my write-up of this investigation for my IB Extended Essay, for which I attained the top grade. I was also awarded a CREST Gold Award for the project.
- Assisted in ongoing field study in Wytham Woods, learning field research skills.
- Assistant Curator - Oxford University Museum of Natural History.
July 2014 – August 2014. Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Accepted onto a six week curatorial position funded by the EPA Cephalosporin Fund.
- Curated a collection of several thousand Lepidoptera, involving species identification, rearrangement into taxonomic order and remedial work on damaged specimens.
- Gained skills in museum best practice e.g. pest prevention, pinning and photography.
- Engaged with the public through interactive exhibitions and a museum blog.
Prizes and Awards
Harley Prize University of Oxford 2015
Awarded for the best all-round performance in Plant Sciences at the University of Oxford.
Keeley Senior Scholarship Wadham College 2015-16
Awarded to graduate students on the basis of academic work and potential.
Undergraduate Scholarships Wadham College 2013-2015
Awarded for excellent performace in Preliminary and Second Year Examinations.
Wadham College Prize Wadham College 2015
Awarded for excellent performace in Final Honours School Examinations.