|Back to Homepage|
|Thaddeus M. Aid|
|Nationality: USA |
|Immigration Status: Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK|
|38 Years Old|
|My goal after graduation is to find a position in industry where I can produce cutting edge research, while still being able to publish my findings in journals. The ability to contribute to the Open Access or Open Source movements is highly desired. In the meantime I am interested in part time research and programming work, if you have work available please contact me at aid [at] stats dot ox dot ac dot uk|
|Researcher: I am a trained researcher with knowledge of how statistics and mathematics work. I am comfortable working with problems that there are no known solutions.|
|Programmer: I am an experienced Java programmer with knowledge of other languages such as R, Perl, Python, C/C++. I am particularly interested in algorithm design and parallel processing.|
|Domain Administrator: I have extensive knowledge of how to build and maintain business networks of computers. I have Microsoft Certifications but I am also knowledgeable in Linux.|
|Teacher: I have experience as a teacher for university students and staff. I have both used other people's syllabi and created my own. |
|Statistician: I am trained in the use of statistics to describe real world phenomena.|
|Population Geneticist: My PhD thesis is an investigation in to population genetics and how our species has evolved.|
|Bioinformatician: I am trained in the use and development of bioinformatics tools.|
|2011 - Present: Department of Statistics, St. Cross College, University of Oxford, UK - D.Phil in Life Sciences Interface Doctoral Training Centre: Thesis: Positive Selection in Homo sapiens.|
|2006 - 2011: University of Reading, UK - BSc Computer Science (Hons) Upper Second Class Degree|
|2005 - 2006: Thames Valley University, UK - Access to Higher Education|
|1998 - 2003: De Anza College, USA - Certificate of Proficiency: Network Administration|
|1992 - 1998: Foothill College, USA - Various classes on general education, theatre, and philosophy.|
|1990 - 1992: Palo Alto Senior High School, USA - Graduate|
|May 2013 - Present: University of Oxford|
|IT Learning Programme Lecturer|
|I am one of the contracted instructors for the University of Oxford's IT Learning Program where I teach courses on introductory Perl and Python.
- I recieved a 2014 OxTALENT award for my use of open education practices in this course.
- I produced lecture notes for both courses and updated the textbook for the Perl course.
- I received high feedback scores from students generally exceeding a 4/5 positive response.
|Autumn 2012 - Present: University of Oxford|
|Doctoral Training Centre Demonstrator|
|I have assisted teaching D.Phil students in the subjects of C/Perl/Python programming, Introduction to the Cell, Evolution, Introduction to Mathematics and Introduction to Statistics.
- I helped to design the statistics assessment for the students.
- I received positive written feedback from the students about my demonstrating style.
|Summer 2010: University of Reading|
|Undergraduate Research Student|
|Worked with an interdisciplinary team to help provide technology to offer language therapy to patients with aphasia after stroke or other brain damage. Lead participatory design of an interactive Android application with clinicians and clients with aphasia.
- I designed a touch screen application for users that have suffered a stroke or other brain damage.
- I presented research at international meeting of Aphasia researchers and therapists.
|Aug 2005 - April 2007: Overland Storage|
|Network Systems Engineer|
|Domain Administrator for international computer storage manufacturer
- I cleaned and synchronized Active Directory and ePolicy Orchestrator Directories.
- I administered the Blackberry Enterprise Server.
|May 2001 - Aug 2005: Various Companies|
|I spent this time working short contracts with high learning curves in order to improve my knowledge of technology and business.
- I learned how to rapidly acquire skills needed for a wide variety of tasks that I performed.
- I learned to be very flexible with how I work. I had to fit into a new team's way of doing things and adapt to the way new environments were set up.
|Sept 2000 - May 2001: eGain Communications Inc.|
|Hosting Operations Supervisor|
|Supervised small shift monitoring over 350 application servers
- I handled shift that maintained a 99% up time SLA hosted server environment.
- I was responsible for 350+ co-located IIS web servers, SQL databases, RAID arrays, and eGain's software in 4 different hosting facilities worldwide.
|Dec 1991 - Sept 2000: Various Companies|
|After leaving high school I worked a variety of jobs until I decided to make technology my profession in 1998. These jobs include but are not limited to being a security guard, a pizza cook, and a machinist.
- Since I worked in various roles, I have a variety of skills that I can bring to new situations.
CERTIFICATIONS (Currently Valid):
|Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE): Security Specialist on Windows 2000|
|Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA): Security Specialist on Windows 2000 and 2003|
|CompTIA Security+ Certified Professional|
|CompTIA Network+ Certified Professional |
|CompTIA A+ Certified Professional|
|Aikido - I have recently join the White Oak Aikido Dojo in Reading where I am learning "The way of the harmonious spirit".|
|The Pint of Science Festival - I am an organizer for one of the events in Oxford where we bring world class researchers into local pubs to tell people about their science.|
|Think Week - I am one of the committee members of a week long series of talks about various subjects from a secular point of view.|
|The Oxford Atheists, Secularists, and Humanists Student Society - I am one of the former Atheist Presidents of the society and I am currently the Online Communications Officer and a member of the committee.|
|Ex Umbris - I am rebuilding an online gaming community that I am the manager of. We are a group of community focused MMORPG players that work together in order to have fun online.|
|Back to Homepage|